Do you need to see a gastroenterologist?
Whenever we have a digestive problem like diarrhoea, constipation, abdominal cramps, acidity etc, we tend to blame our food choices. Have a stomach ache? It's probably due to something you ate in the morning. Have constipation? It is likely because you ate too much meat for the dinner last night. Somehow we tend to find an explanation for everything, and instead of seeing a doctor, we wait for the symptoms to get better on their own. However, it is very important to understand that frequent digestive problems could be an indication of a serious underlying condition that you have been overlooking or misinterpreting for a long time. As such, it is very important to see a specialist and get yourself evaluated.
Many people do not know when is the right time to see a Gastroenterologist and if you are facing the same problem, this blog is just for you. Here, we have listed 5 of the most common gastrointestinal problems that call for the need for proper consultation, as listed by the experts from the best gastroenterology hospital in Gurgaon.
- Frequent diarrhoea: There are several factors that can trigger bouts of diarrhoea. This could be due to ongoing infection, excessive eating, unhygienic eating habits or a side effect of certain medicines. In such cases, the problem may last for a day or two and you start feeling better again. However, if you have been experiencing bouts of diarrhoea very frequently, and that too without any known underlying cause, it could possibly be due to a chronic bowel disorder like irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease. Frequent diarrhoea can prove to be very dangerous as it can cause dehydration and also weaken a person's immune system. These complications are most commonly seen in elderly people and small children.
- Constipation: Do you have to spend hours sitting on the pot every day because you find it difficult to pass the stools? Well, you are not alone. Constipation is a problem that affects millions across the globe. A person is said to be constipated, if he or she passes stools less than 3 times a week or if their stools are very hard and not passing out. While the problem is mostly associated with low fibre intake, it can also be linked to irritable bowel syndrome or dysfunctional intestine, both of which can result in serious complications without proper treatment. If you leave your constipation on treated for a long time it can increase your risks of developing haemorrhoids, anal fissures, faecal impaction and rectal prolapse. Hence, it is highly recommended to see a gastroenterology specialist in Gurgaon at the earliest.
- Frequent heartburn: Have you ever felt that burning sensation in your chest after meals or when you lie down or bend? This is commonly referred to as heartburn and it happens when the acids present in your stomach start to back up in your food pipe. It is normal to experience this once in a while however if you are experiencing heartburn every other day, chances are that it might be because of GERD or gastrointestinal reflux disease. The condition is serious because it can severely damage the inner lining of the food pipe and trigger the formation of scars on it. Mild GERD can be managed with healthy lifestyle modifications however if you have severe GERD, it is important to see a doctor as you will need proper treatment for it.
- Bloating: When do you usually feel bloated? When you overeat, isn't it? Well, it is a major cause of bloating, but not the only one. The feeling of tightness and fullness could also be linked to gastrointestinal problems like excessive gas. Bloating can also be seen in people who have irritable bowel syndrome, lactose intolerance and chronic constipation since they are not able to get rid of the wastes properly. Consulting a Gastroenterologist will not only help you to understand the underlying cause of your bloating but will also help you to get rid of the same. You can conserve the experts from the best private hospital in Gurgaon today.
- Rectal bleed: If you see traces of blood in your stool, the sign is alarming. Rectal bleeding is linked with many gastrointestinal conditions, all being quite serious. It could be due to a haemorrhoid, anal fissure or even cancer. It is important to bring it to the notice of a doctor and get yourself assessed thoroughly.
In order to know more about various gastrointestinal problems or to get yourself evaluated by the experts in the field, book an appointment with the doctors from the best Gastroenterology Hospital in Gurgaon today.