It is a relatively new, yet highly effective joint replacement procedure, that uses artificial implants to replace damaged or diseased ankle joints. The procedure is performed under the influence of general or spinal anaesthesia. The surgery can help to relieve pain and enhance ankle mobility. There are several different types of ankle replacement, differentiated based on the joint components that have been replaced.
What is ankle replacement?
Ankle replacement, sometimes referred to as ankle arthroplasty is an option for those who have been suffering from ankle pain and discomfort for a very long time. During the surgery, the doctors will replace the damaged or dysfunctional ankle joints and bones with prosthetic components, while preserving the range of motion. This allows the patients to perform normal day-to-day activities without any pain or discomfort.
Who is recommended to go for ankle replacement??
Ankle replacement surgery is recommended for people experiencing chronic pain and swelling, that is not responding to medication, therapy or any other non-invasive treatment modality. This may be due to any of the following:
● Age-related wear and tear
● Rheumatoid arthritis
● Post Traumatic Arthritis
What happens before the procedure?
● Doctors will perform certain tests and assessments to evaluate the extent of damage and curate a proper surgical plan to be followed
● This is followed by a thorough assessment of your past medical records to make sure you do not have any existing medical condition that can interfere with the course of the orthopaedics treatment.
● You will be informed about the medical procedure and the various benefits and risks involved
● You may be required to fast, starting from 8 hours prior to the surgery
● You will need to make arrangements for performing normal day-to-day chores for some days
What happens during the procedure?
● You will be given general/ spinal anaesthesia to keep you sedated throughout the procedure
● An intravenous line will be started to administer nutritional fluids and medication to your arm
● You will be connected to a monitor that will simultaneously record your vitals i.e. heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels, etc
● Once you are under the influence of anaesthesia, the surgical site will be cleaned and doctors will carefully make an incision to access the affected joint components.
● Doctors will carefully replace the damaged joint components with the prosthetic parts
● The incision is then closed and you will be shifted to the recovery room
What to expect after the procedure?
● After the procedure, you can experience mild pain and discomfort which can be taken care with the help of prescribed pain medication
● Rigorous physical activities should be avoided and you should refrain from putting too much strain on the affected foot
● You will need to go for physiotherapy for a quick recovery
● You will also have to go for regular check-ups to help your doctors keep a track of your progress
Sanar International Hospitals provides extensive medical procedures backed up with our state-of-the-art technology and a team of highly qualified & experienced clinical experts.
Dr. Rohit Lamba talks about a successful Hip Replacement Surgery carried out on an Iraqi patient
Distal radial corrective osteotomy and planting TFCC repair Procedure By Dr. Rohit Lamba at Sanar
Implant Removal; Retrograde Nailing and Iliac Crest Bone Grafting Right Femur Done at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Rewaa Salman | Distal femur extension osteotomy and planting at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mustafa Sabah Nori Al Alabed | Orif with planting at Sanar Hospitals
Left Knee Replacement At Sanar International | Left side (Computer Navigated) | Patient Testimonial
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Om Prakash From Haryana | Computerized Total knee replacement At Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mrs. Gupta From Gurgaon | Computer Navigated Knee Replacement on Both Sides
Patient Testimonial | Mrs. Hadiyo Sahal Sheeb From Somalia | Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Majid Mohammed From Iraq | Implant Removal and Distal Femur Replacement
Our doctors pen down their research findings and experiences from time to time. Their words provide deep insight into the latest techniques, technologies and other advancements in healthcare. It provides expert answers to all kinds of health questions for real-life issues.VIEW ALL
Since the day of its foundation, Sanar International Hospitals is committed to provide comprehensive healthcare services. It regularly organizes awareness programs in its premises and encourages outdoor healthcare activities and camps with an intent to put focus on preventive healthcare.VIEW ALL