We all know the importance of blood in our bodies and how crucial it is for our well-being. Every year, many people lose their lives due to excessive blood loss and insufficient supplies in the blood bank. This is commonly referred to as exsanguination. This is why it is important to donate our blood, however, while we plan to do so, there are several things, rather questions, that cross our minds. In this blog, we have some such questions related to blood donation, with the help of the experts from the best blood and bone marrow transplantation hospital in Gurgaon.
How is the donated Blood used?
You go to the blood bank and donate the blood, but have you ever wondered what happens to this blood? Now that we have highlighted this, a lot of questions may come to your mind. Is it stored somewhere or is it directly transfused into the patient's body? Well, the blood that you donate has to pass through a number of steps to make it ready for the process. First of all, it will be screened thoroughly, to ensure that there are no risks of any disease transmission.
Once it has been determined that the blood is free of any disease or ailment, it is qualified for the next step.
It is important to understand that several patients only need a specific component of the blood and depending upon the needs, the blood cells, plasma, and platelets will be separated.
Some of this blood can also be used for research work, in order to develop a new treatment for various serious ailments. Once all of this is done, the desired components of the blood are transferred into the patient's body intravenously.
What are the dos and don't of donating Blood?
If you are planning to donate your blood frequently, it is better that you follow the guidelines to make sure that it does not have any negative impact on your own health. There are if you think that you need to do and three more that you need to avoid if you are going for blood donation.
● Consider taking someone with you. Although this is not mandatory but is it is better to do so as talking with them will help to divert your mind while the blood is being collected and if you feel a little lightheaded or dizzy after the process, they can help you
● Drink a good amount of water and keep yourself hydrated to negate the risks of your blood pressure dropping after the process
● Make sure that you have a light, but fulfilling meal, to provide you with all the strength that you need to donate your blood
● Refrain from going for blood donation if you do not feel well. Whether it's a simple fever or severe flu, you should not be donating your blood unless and until you are in a healthy state
● Strictly avoid smoking or drinking before going for blood donation. These not only have a negative impact on your health but can also be very dangerous for the person who will be receiving your blood
● Do not go for blood donation with an empty stomach When the blood is drawn from your body it can cause your blood pressure to drop resulting in lightheadedness and fainting. If you go for donating your blood on an empty stomach these symptoms can become much worse
What are the best foods for you if you are planning to Donate Blood?
There are several foods that can help to boost the production of blood in the body and eating these can prove to be highly beneficial for you if you are planning to donate blood.
Foods rich in iron - Iron plays a crucial role in the production of hemoglobin, which is an important protein found in red blood cells. Eating foods like almonds, chickpeas, meat, green peas, wholemeal bread, spinach, and fish, that are rich in iron, can help to make up for the replenished levels of hemoglobin and improve blood production.
Foods loaded with vitamin C - Iron are not easily absorbed by our bodies and this is the reason why taking it all alone will not suffice. You need to increase the intake of foods loaded with vitamin C as this helps our body to absorb the iron in a better way. Foods that contain vitamin C include tomatoes, oranges, lemon, and kiwi.
To know more about blood donation, you can always consult the experts from the best blood and bone marrow transplant hospital in Gurgaon.
. ,Book an Appointment