Getting familiar with common conditions that affect the lungs
Lung problems have become very common nowadays and this is partly because of ever-increasing environmental pollution. Apart from this, there are several other factors too, that can have a drastic impact on your lungs. In this blog, we have listed a few common conditions that can affect the lungs, with the help of the best pulmonologist in Gurgaon. These are as under:
- Common cold - It is one of the most common viral infections that can affect people of any age group. It is highly contagious in nature and spreads via mucus droplets released during coughing and sneezing. The virus usually involves the upper respiratory tract, which includes the nose and throat and does not pose any serious complications. However, and extreme cases it can trigger bouts of asthma and even end up in pneumonia. It can cause irritation and lead to the accumulation of mucus in the chest, resulting in chest colds. There is no cure for the common cold however, the best pulmonologist in Gurgaon suggests that it can be easily managed by taking necessary precautions. The cold usually lasts for 5 days to a week.
- Asthma - It is a chronic lung disease that is marked by severe inflammation in the small airways of the lungs, which leads to their narrowing. This results in breathing difficulty, which is often accompanied by other symptoms like coughing and wheezing. Asthma can even prove to be fatal at times. The condition can affect both adults as well as small children and is incurable. An asthma attack can be triggered by certain allergens and infectious agents present in the surroundings. Protecting yourself from these can help to alleviate the risk of an asthma attack.
- COPD - It stands for chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and does not refer to a single condition but a group of respiratory problems that can lead to breathing difficulties. The condition is caused by long-term exposure to toxic gases and particles. The condition is quite common in people who smoke. The problem is progressive in nature which means that it tends to worsen with time. Luckily, unlike many other lung diseases, it is treatable. Experts from the best pulmonology hospital in Gurgaon suggest that people suffering from the condition are also susceptible to developing serious heart diseases and lung cancer
- Bronchitis - It refers to a condition in which the lining of the bronchial tube becomes inflamed. As these are responsible for carrying oxygen, the condition can drastically impact the flow of the same, giving rise to complications like breathlessness and cough. Bronchitis often develops from a severe cold or any other infection concerning the respiratory tract. The condition is broadly classified into two types - acute bronchitis and chronic bronchitis. The former is more common and usually lasts for a week or so. The latter, however, is serious but not as common.
- Pneumonia - It is a potentially serious condition marked by inflammation of the air sacs that are present within the lungs. Gradually, pus and fluids start accumulating in the sacks resulting in cough, breathing difficulties, fever and chills. The problem can either affect one of the lungs or both of them. You will be surprised to know that some people may have pneumonia without even knowing it, as they do not experience any symptoms that call for the need for medical attention. This is commonly referred to as walking pneumonia.
If you wish to know more about various lung diseases and explore the treatment options available for the same, you can conserve the best pulmonologist in Gurgaon for unparalleled guidance. Do not ignore any symptoms and seek proper medical help to avoid the risks of unnecessary complications
Sanar International hospital offers comprehensive advanced surgical care in Lung Cancer, Heart, and Nervous systems along with other major healthcare departments with advanced state-of-the-art facilities.
Dr. Bandana Mishra
Head of the Department and Senior Consultant