Bronchitis: What it means and how you can manage it at home?
Have you or someone you know been diagnosed with bronchitis? Don’t worry, we are here to help you understand the condition and how you can easily manage it at home. Marked by excessive coughing, chest congestion and breathlessness, bronchitis is a condition marked by an inflammation or swelling in the bronchial tubes. As per the top pulmonologists in Gurgaon, people suffering from the condition tend to cough up discoloured and thick mucus. Bronchitis can either be acute or chronic which means that the attack can be sudden and last for a couple of days or long term, which may last for weeks. The former is very common and can be easily managed, whereas the latter can prove to be more serious, giving rise to the need for proper treatment and care.
Treatment for bronchitis is offered at the best pulmonology hospital in Gurgaon and this usually involves a combination of medicines that are to be taken as per the prescribed dosage. Apart from medicines, there are some simple tips that you can follow for the effective management of bronchitis. These are listed below:
- Take warm fluids- As important as it is to ensure that you are keeping yourself well hydrated, it is equally important to avoid cold drinks and beverages as these can worsen bronchitis symptoms. You should rather go for warm fluids like tea and soup as this help to clear the mucus. Make it a habit to drink lukewarm water instead of regular water. This will help to reduce your coughing and congestion.
- Get a humidifier for your home - As there is a drop in the temperature the humidity levels also tend to drop drastically, making the air dry. Inhaling such air can irritate your bronchial tubes and lungs. A humidifier will help to ensure that the year around you is moist. This will naturally help to lower the adversity of your cough. You can also buy a steam vaporizer for inhalation. The best doctors in Gurgaon suggest that this will help to clear the blockage caused by the mucus.
- Herbal Tea - Tea is the favourite beverage of almost every Indian and there are many varieties to choose from. Some of these, such as herbal tea, have medicinal properties as well. Drinking it can help to loosen the mucus that has build-up in your bronchial tubes and help to relieve cough. Next time you go to buy grocery herbal tea (like peppermint tea, ginger tea and chamomile tea) to the list.
- Rest - Persistent coughing and breathing difficulties can make it difficult for you to get proper sleep at night. This can lead to fatigue and may even weaken your immune system. Rest is very important to help your immunity get back in the right form. You should avoid going out unnecessarily and refrain from excessive physical exertion, to ensure you are not overburdening your lungs.
- Use a Nasal Spray - We are not referring to the medicated nasal spray but rather the saline one. This is one of the most effective ways for breaking down mucus build-up. The base part about this is that other nasal sprays induce a temporary relief and as soon as the effect wears off, the mucus builds up again. In the case of a saline nasal spray, however, the chances of rebound congestion are very low.
- Honey - Honey is something that can be easily found in almost every other household. It is widely recognized for its medicinal properties, which makes it a major component of many cough-relieving medicines. You can add a teaspoon of it to your tea or take it as it is.
If you do not find any of these tips effective, consult the experts from the best hospital in Gurgaon, today.
Book an Appointment