Every year, thousands of people opt for shoulder replacement surgery in India, to relieve persistent shoulder pain and restore mobility. The surgery is recommended for patients who are not positively responding to medication and therapy. Shoulder replacement is a solution for degenerative joint diseases as well as shoulder injuries and fractures. Paired with physiotherapy, it is the best solution for rotator cuff tears.
What is shoulder replacement?
Shoulder replacement is a surgical procedure that aims at eliminating chronic shoulder pain and improving the functionality of the shoulder, by replacing damaged shoulder joints with new, prosthetic components. The shoulder joint has the highest range of motion as compared to any other joint in your body, however, a diseased or damaged shoulder joint can limit the same, making it difficult for you to take part in normal day-to-day activities.
What are the different types of shoulder replacement?
Shoulder replacement surgery is broadly classified into the following five types:
● Resurfacing hemiarthroplasty
● Anatomic total shoulder replacement
● Stemless total shoulder arthroplasty,
● Reverse total shoulder replacement
Who is recommended to go for shoulder replacement?
Shoulder replacement surgery is recommended for people experiencing any of the following:
● Chronic shoulder pain caused by underlying conditions like osteoarthritis, rotator cuff tear arthropathy, avascular necrosis and rheumatoid arthritis
● Weakness or loss of strength in the shoulder
● Pain that is interfering with your sleep cycle
● Pain that is not responding to any medication
● Limited mobility in the shoulder
What happens before the procedure?
● Doctors will perform certain tests and assessments to evaluate the extent of damage and curate a proper surgical plan to be followed
● This is followed by a thorough assessment of your past medical records to make sure you do not have any medical condition that can interfere with the course of the treatment.
● You will be informed about the medical procedure and the various benefits and risks involved
● It is important to inform your doctor if you are pregnant or suspect pregnancy
● You will need to refrain from consuming anything, starting at least 8 hours prior to the surgery
● You will have to make necessary arrangements at home to make sure that you do not face any difficulty post-surgery
What happens during the procedure?
● The surgery will take about 2 hours and you will remain sedated throughout.
● A nurse will start an intravenous line to administer nutritional fluids and medication to your arm
● You will be connected to a monitor that will simultaneously record your vitals i.e. heart rate, blood pressure, oxygen levels, etc
● Once you are under the influence of anaesthesia, the surgical site will be cleaned and doctors will carefully make an incision to access the affected joint components.
● Doctors will carefully replace the damaged joint components and fix the prosthetic parts in the right position
● The incision is then closed and a drain may be placed to allow excess fluids to come out
What to expect after the procedure?
● After the procedure, you can experience mild pain and discomfort which can be taken care of with the help of prescribed pain medication.
● Rigorous physical activities should be avoided, such as pulling and pushing heavy weights
● You will need to go for physiotherapy to help in quick recovery
● You will also have to go for regular check-ups to help your doctors keep a track of your progress
Sanar International Hospitals provides extensive medical procedures backed up with our state-of-the-art technology and a team of highly qualified & experienced clinical experts.
Dr. Rohit Lamba talks about a successful Hip Replacement Surgery carried out on an Iraqi patient
Distal radial corrective osteotomy and planting TFCC repair Procedure By Dr. Rohit Lamba at Sanar
Implant Removal; Retrograde Nailing and Iliac Crest Bone Grafting Right Femur Done at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Rewaa Salman | Distal femur extension osteotomy and planting at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mustafa Sabah Nori Al Alabed | Orif with planting at Sanar Hospitals
Left Knee Replacement At Sanar International | Left side (Computer Navigated) | Patient Testimonial
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Om Prakash From Haryana | Computerized Total knee replacement At Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mrs. Gupta From Gurgaon | Computer Navigated Knee Replacement on Both Sides
Patient Testimonial | Mrs. Hadiyo Sahal Sheeb From Somalia | Platelet Rich Plasma Therapy at Sanar
Patient Testimonial | Mr. Majid Mohammed From Iraq | Implant Removal and Distal Femur Replacement
Our doctors pen down their research findings and experiences from time to time. Their words provide deep insight into the latest techniques, technologies and other advancements in healthcare. It provides expert answers to all kinds of health questions for real-life issues.VIEW ALL
Since the day of its foundation, Sanar International Hospitals is committed to provide comprehensive healthcare services. It regularly organizes awareness programs in its premises and encourages outdoor healthcare activities and camps with an intent to put focus on preventive healthcare.VIEW ALL