With more than 25 years of medical experience, Dr. Vinay Kumar Shaw is a proficient laparoscopic, gastrointestinal and bariatric surgeon. He has successfully treated around 10000 cases and has been associated with many prestigious healthcare institutions. He was formerly Consultant at Medeor Hospital (previously known as Rockland Hospital) and also at MedantaMedicity, Gurugram. His expertise includes GI, GI Oncological, Minimal Access, and Bariatric surgery. Dr. Shaw did his Master’s degree from GMCH and followed it with further training in laparoscopic surgery at Institute of Minimal Invasive Surgery, AMRI, Kolkata. He completed his senior residency with teaching experience of three years at VMMC and Safdarjang Hospital which is one of the largest tertiary level multi-disciplinary healthcare institutions in this part of the World. He has keen interests in Minimal Access Surgery and also received training at South Korea. He has numerous publications in indexed journals which includes the prestigious British Journal of Surgery. He is invited faculty at various national scientific conferences and also awarded Travel Grant in South Korea by the International Associations of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists, and Oncologists (IASGO). He has pioneered a safe HAP technique for Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy which was presented at the highly valued National IASG meeting held at AIIMS, New Delhi, and also at the International Congress of the European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons. He is a reviewer for the Indian Journal of Surgery and believes in ensuring the highest quality of surgical care with evidence-based treatment strategies.
Invited Faculty in proceedings of various national conferences under the aegis of Association of Surgeons of India(ASICON), Society of Endoscopic and Laparoscopic Surgeons of India(SELSICON), Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India(AMASI), and Indian Association of Gastrointestinal endo surgeons(IAGES) and state chapters.
Awarded Travel Grant for his academics in South Korea by the International Associations of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists, and Oncologists (IASGO). Some other major publications and presentations are-
- Gastroduodenal trichobezoar: rare case of Rapunzel syndrome, British Journal of Surgery, 2022;, znac025, https://doi.org/10.1093/bjs/znac025
- Extra-mucosal enucleation is still a safe and feasible treatment option of giant esophageal leiomyomas. Indian J Gastroenterol. 2018 Jan; 37(1):63-66. [PubMed]
- Abstract published -Obesity Week 2013, under the aegis of American Society for Metabolic & Bariatric Surgery(ASMBS), Atlanta
- Surgery for Chronic Pancreatitis. Invited Lecture, North East Gastro Meet, 2014, Guwahati, India
- Laparoscopic TME, Management of Rectal Carcinoma. CME Lecture (Video Session). Annual conference of the Assam State chapter of Association of Surgeons of India, ASACON 2014
- Laparoscopic management of Choledochal cyst. IAGES -2015, Oral Presentation, Annual Congress of the Indian Association of Gastrointestinal Endosurgeons
- Laparoscopic excision of mesenteric GIST. Free oral presentation, AMASICON 2015, Annual International Conference of the Association of Minimal Access Surgeons of India
- Management of Colonic Diverticulitis. Oral/Poster Presentation, IASGO 2016 World Congress, Sep 8-10, Seoul, Korea
- Rectal Prolapse: Is laparoscopic posterior mesh rectopexy the procedure of choice? Oral Video presentation, IASGO World Congress, HBP SurG Meeting, November 15-17, 2017, Lyon, France.
- Novel approach for ventral hernia repair in Bariatric patients. IFSO 2018, 23rd World Congress International Federation for the Surgery of Obesity and Metabolic Disorders
- Simpler Approach in management of complex ventral hernia repair. Guest Lecture – CME on Trends in General Surgery organized by GNRC Hospitals, May 2019, Guwahati
- Hug and Push (HAP) technique in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy – a safe alternative with modification of Critical View of Safety (CVS) approach. Oral Video, IASGCON 2019, AIIMS
- Ventral Hernia Repair- Changing trends for tailor-made approach. Lecture, Annual Conference of the Association of Surgeons of India, ASICON, Dec 2019, Bhubaneswar, Orissa
- HAP (Hug and Push) technique in Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, European Association of Endoscopic Surgeons(EAES) Virtual congress 2020,23 - 26 June
- E TEP repair for Pfannenstiel Incisional Hernia. Video presentation. Virtual International conference, ANZ – AWR 2020
- Invited Chairperson. An Update on Rectal Cancer Management. CME organized by Rectal Cancer Treatment Outcome Group, Jan 2020, Gurugram, India
- Invited Judge and Chair – Free Paper presentation competition, Virtual Annual Conference of the Association of Surgeons of India, ASICON 2020
- Invited Faculty and Moderator, Surgery Clinical Oriented Postgraduate Examination Course, SCOPE 2021 (Virtual), Delhi State Chapter, ASI
- Moderator, Incidental gall bladder carcinoma. Virtual Symposium conducted by Delhi State chapter of Association of Surgeons of India, 2021
- Faculty– Sleeve gastrectomy course, 18th National Conference of Obesity &Metabolic Surgery Society of India, 27th - 29th Feb, OSSICON 2020, New Delhi.
- Reviewer – Indian Journal of surgery