Is something wrong with your liver? Some warning signs
The liver is the largest gland in the human body that is involved in various vital functions. From regulating healthy metabolism to detoxifying our bodies and aiding in protein synthesis, the healthy functioning of the liver is crucial for our overall well-being. However, there are a variety of diseases and ailments that can interfere with the normal function of the liver, some even leading to life-threatening complications. Any liver problem manifests itself in a variety of ways. It is important that we look out for the symptoms and get ourselves evaluated at the earliest. Experts from the top liver transplant hospital in Gurgaon suggest that such diseases that easily manageable in the majority of cases provided one seeks early treatment and care. Unfortunately, some people tend to overlook the symptoms on mistake them for some other condition. This gives ample time for the disease to progress and gives rise to serious complications.
In this blog, we have listed some common problems that suggest that your liver is not functioning well with the help of the best liver transplant surgeons in Gurgaon. These are:
- Loss of appetite - You used to be a foodie and suddenly, even hate the thought of eating your favourite food. Ever wondered why? The liver plays a very crucial role in the process of digestion and if it is not functioning properly, your digestive system may also become dysfunctional. This is quite likely to give rise to problems like loss of appetite.
- Your sleep patterns keep changing - If your sleep patterns are becoming more disturbed or inconsistent lately, it could be a sign of liver cirrhosis. This happens because the liver generates various hormones that are important for the sleep-wake cycle and when the liver becomes dysfunctional, it naturally affects the cycle as well.
- You keep on forgetting things - Liver damage can impact your memory as well. This happens due to the excessive build-up of toxins in the body and brain. This in turn interferes with the normal transmission of signals and memory retention, making you forget things again and again.
- Fatigue - We usually feel tired or experience fatigue, when we indulge in some rigorous physical activity, however, if you are feeling tired all the time without even taking part in any such activity, it could be related to your liver. This happens because of altered neurotransmission due to the build-up of toxins.
- Feeling itchy - It is quite normal to feel itchy after coming in contact with some allergen, but when you cannot think of any underlying reason behind it, your liver might be the culprit. Best liver transplant doctors in Gurgaon suggest that itching could be a sign of liver cirrhosis. Although it is not the case always, it is better to get yourself evaluated at the earliest.
- Jaundice - It refers to the yellowing of the skin and the white part of the eye. It is not a condition, but rather a symptom that has been associated with severe liver dysfunction. The condition is marked by the excessive build-up of bilirubin, which is usually secreted by the liver in safe amounts. If your liver is not functioning well, it could lead to the increased production of the same resulting in the changed tone of the skin and eyes.
- Weight gain - There are multiple reasons that could explain why you have been gaining weight, however, if your weight gain is abrupt and unintentional, it could be due to cirrhosis. The condition is marked by the replacement of healthy liver tissues with scar tissue, that can block the flow of blood through the liver. As this happens, you are metabolism slows down and you tend to gain weight.
If you have been experiencing any of the above mentioned symptoms it is important to see a doctor for proper assessment and guidance. Experience these symptoms does not necessarily mean that you have a liver problem, and even if you do, it can be easily managed it proper care and treatment.
Dr. Ankur Garg
Head of the Department
Digestive & Liver Diseases, Liver Transplant