Having chest congestion? These home remedies can work wonders for you
Chest congestion is a problem that may be experienced by anyone from time to time. It is marked by a feeling of tightness in the chest which is primarily due to swollen airways and the build-up of mucus. People with chest congestion experience difficulty in breathing, and it is more likely to affect elderly people, small children, smokers and people with pre-existing chronic illnesses.
There are several different factors that are responsible for causing chest congestion however experts from the top pulmonology hospital in Gurgaon suggest that it is usually an indication of an underlying chest infection, which may be triggered by a virus or bacteria.
There are many effective home-based remedies for managing chest congestion. We have listed some of these in this blog with the help of the best pulmonologist in Gurgaon.
- Keep yourself fully hydrated - We all know that fluids are important for us, but what many people do not know is that these can help to alleviate the symptoms of chest congestion. Wondering how? Well, when your body is properly hydrated, it helps to break down the mucus that has accumulated in your chest, making it easier to cough out the same. Lukewarm water is the best option when it comes to that and you can also try hot soup, green tea, kahwa etc.
- Steam inhalation - Whether you have chest congestion or not, steam inhalation can help you breathe better by opening your airways and getting rid of mucus. Not only this, but steam inhalation can also help to ease the symptoms of chest infection and speed up the process of recovery.
- Daily Ginger intake - Ginger has numerous health benefits and as per the best doctors in Gurgaon, it is one of the most effective remedies for elevating respiratory symptoms, especially in people suffering from cough, cold and bronchitis. You can take a small piece of fresh ginger and chew it if you are comfortable with the taste. If you are not able to take it directly, you can take a small amount of Ginger juice with honey and lukewarm water.
- Take turmeric - Turmeric is widely known for its antiseptic properties and is also a good option for those who are finding it difficult to get rid of chest congestion. There are several different ways in which turmeric can be consumed. You can either add it to your tea along with a small amount of honey or boil it in water, along with black pepper and cinnamon.
- Lemon - This wonderful fruit is loaded with Vitamin C which is known to fight infections. Lemon can help to alleviate inflammation and is a really good option if you have swollen airways. You can add a dash of lemon to a glass of lukewarm water and start your day with it or you can simply take a teaspoon of lemon and mix it with a little amount of honey.
- Jaggery - In India, jaggery is widely consumed in the winter season as it helps to keep your body warm and brings down the risks of diseases and infections. If you have persistent cough jaggery can help you manage the same and is also useful in getting rid of mucus. It can simply be added to tea or you can make a drink by adding it to water along with black pepper and cumin.
- Peppermint oil - It is an essential oil that is used in Indian households to relieve cough and cold. The menthol present in it can help to break down the mucus that has build-up in your lungs. You can either consume it or add it to the water that you are using for steam inhalation.
All these remedies are safe for anyone, however, if you are already undergoing some treatment it is better to consult your doctor before trying any of them.