Getting hip replacement surgery? Here is everything you need to know
Have you been recommended to go for hip replacement surgery? If yes, we are sure that there must be many questions crossing your mind on a daily basis. This is quite natural because, the thought of undergoing surgery can be quite overwhelming, especially when you know that the procedure is followed by months of recovery and rehabilitation. Although the procedure is very common there are many things that people are not aware of. Knowing about these will help to prepare you for the procedure mentally. In this blog, we have answered some of the most common questions related to hip replacement surgery with the help of an expert specializing and hip replacement surgery in Gurgaon. This blog will help you understand everything about hip replacement, including how you can prepare for it and what you should be expecting after the surgery.
Understanding hip replacement beyond the medical definition:
Hip replacement surgery is the second most common joint replacement procedure, with the first one being knee replacement. The procedure involves the surgical replacement of damaged, diseased or dysfunctional components of the hip joint with new, prosthetic components. It is a highly recommended treatment option for patients experiencing pain and limited mobility in the hip joint. They have joined consists of two parts, i.e. The ball or the femoral head and the socket or the acetabulum. Depending upon whether only one of these is affected or both, hip replacement surgery can be partial or total.
Why have you been recommended to go for a hip replacement?
A hip replacement procedure is usually recommended for elderly people who complain of persistent and unbearable hip pain. However, the procedure may also be performed on younger patients, to improve mobility and make it possible for them to indulge in normal day-to-day activities. Your doctors may recommend other, non-surgical treatment options like physiotherapy and medications initially and surgery is only recommended when other options fail to give the desired results.
What is the major indication of hip replacement?
You will need a hip replacement if your hip joint has been affected by any of the following:
- Age-related wear and tear - As we grow old, the gradual wear and tear cause the degeneration of the cartilage and there is also a significant decrease in the level of natural joint lubricants. As a result of this, the bones rub against each other creating friction and giving rise to pain.
- Injury sustained in an accident - A serious injury or blow to the hip can lead to hip injuries that may negatively impact the hip joint too, giving rise to the need of replacement.
- Arthritis of the hip joint - There are many different types of Arthritis, some of which can drastically affect the hip joint. Arthritis is a progressive disease that is marked by the gradual degeneration of the joints. The problem is not reversible however getting a hip replacement can definitely help to improve the quality of the patient's life
Is there any alternative to hip replacement surgery?
People who have been recommended to go for hip replacement surgery often ask if it is possible to postpone the procedure or if there are any other alternatives that they can opt for. Well, if your doctor has suggested surgery it usually means that all other options have failed to work for you. However, if you have not opted for any other treatment, here are if few, listed by the best orthopaedic surgeon in Gurgaon, that you should try.
- Low-impact exercises and physiotherapy - There is a misconception that complete bed rest will help to relieve your hip pain, however, the reality is that this is only going to add to the problems. Low-impact exercises and Physiotherapy will help to improve the circulation of blood to the affected joints and also help to improve mobility. This naturally helps to increase the range of motion and reduce pain.
- Pain medication - It is usually the 1st line of treatment and involves the use of oral and topical medications which are to be taken as per the prescribed dose.
- Taking supplements and eating healthy - There are certain foods and supplements that are known to strengthen your muscles and joints. However, it is always better to consult a dietician or nutritionist before making changes in your diet, to make sure that you are not missing out on any important nutrients.
- Steroid injections - These are administered with the aim of relieving pain and inflammation. Steroid injections are highly effective, however, these shouldn’t be taken too often as they come with certain side effects.
Do you need to prepare for hip replacement?
- There are certain things that you need to keep in mind before undergoing a hip replacement procedure. We have listed these with the help of experts specializing in joint replacement surgery in Gurgaon.
- Talk to your doctor about the procedure and do not shy away from asking questions. Your doctors will help you understand the whole procedure and the various pros and cons that are expected.
- Share your medical history with your doctor and this includes all the medications that you had been taking or are taking presently. This is important because the information plays a vital role in determining the treatment protocol.
- Ask someone to come along with you so that they can drive you home after the procedure.
- Make necessary arrangements at home so that you do not have to do it all at the end minute.
- You might need to get yourself again or a walker, as you will need these to move around for some time following the surgery.
- If you do not have a pot in your washroom, arrange for one, or get a raised toilet seat instead.
What to expect after the procedure?
- Once you have in discharge from the hospital your major focus should be on recovery and rehabilitation, which play a very vital role and determining the outcomes of the surgery.
- You will be required to take some medication to help with the pain and inflammation. The dosage is decided by your doctor.
- You will be required to go for physiotherapy and indulge in low-impact exercises to make sure the new joint is getting proper lubrication. This will also have to ensure better movement and flexibility.
- Stay in touch with your doctor and go for regular checkups to keep a track of your prognosis
If you wish to know more about hip replacement surgery, you can consult our experts today.