What to eat to beat the risks of Breast Cancer
About 2.3 million women are diagnosed with breast cancer every year. The malignancy is so common that it accounts for nearly 1 in 8 cancers diagnosed globally. Although it can affect both females and males, it is quite rare in the case of the latter. Breast cancer is marked by the uncontrollable growth of cells and tissues in the breast. Although there is no exact cause that can be pinpointed, experts from the best cancer hospital in Gurgaon suggest that this happens due to certain genetic mutations in the DNA of these cells, which drastically impact their ability to grow and multiply. There are several different factors that may be responsible for it.
The risks of developing breast cancer cannot be completely negative however you can bring down the same by adhering to simple healthy lifestyle changes, and when it comes to that we cannot simply ignore our diet. You not only need to modify your diet but also adhere to some simple practices that will make your meals safer for you, such as thoroughly washing the veggies and fruits to rinse off toxic fertilizers.
In this blog, we have jotted down the list of foods that might actually help to alleviate your risks of developing breast cancer, with the help of the best oncologist in Gurgaon. Wondering what are these? Here you go.
- Green Leafy Vegetables - If we are talking about healthy eating, we cannot simply forget about green leafy vegetables as these are a crucial part of any balanced diet. Vegetables like kale, spinach and mustard greens are known to have high fibre content but did you know that these have anti-cancerous properties as well? Yes, it is true. Sach vegetables are loaded with carotenoid antioxidants like beta carotene and lutein, which have been linked with elevated risks of breast cancer. Green leafy vegetables are also a rich source of folate, which is believed to bring down breast cancer risks.
- Cruciferous Vegetables - These are not any fancy vegetables but the regular cauliflower, cabbage and broccoli that we use very often. The fact that these vegetables are high in glucosinolate compounds makes them brilliant for warding off the risks of developing breast cancer. Even a study has suggested that women with a high intake of cruciferous vegetables have reduced risks of breast cancer.
- Allium Vegetables - It is an umbrella term used for garlic onions and leaves, which are commonly used as an ingredient in the food. These are part with organosulfur compounds, flavonoid antioxidants and vitamin C, all known for their anti-cancerous properties. Although further studies are needed in the direction, there is no harm in adding these to your diet.
- Berries - These are the most delicious option when it comes to foods that bring down the risks of breast cancer. Berries are the cult favourite of all fitness lovers because of their multiple health benefits. However, many people do not know that munching on berries can help to lower the risks of breast cancer as well. Surprisingly it is true. There is unloaded with antioxidants that help to reduce cellular damage and lower the risks of unhealthy genetic mutations, thereby reducing your risks of developing breast cancer.
- Fatty Fish - Fatty fish are widely known for their phenomenal health benefits as these are loaded with nutrients that have a positive impact on your overall health. These are a great source of Omega 3 fats, Selenium and various antioxidants, which can help to protect you again serious of developing breast cancer. While you are adding fatty fish to your diet, make sure you reduce the intake of less refined oils. This will help you to maintain a balance between Omega 3 and Omega 6 levels, keeping you safe from genetic mutations that can lead to breast cancer.
- Herbs and Spices - If you think that Herbs and spices only add flavour to your food, you definitely need to reconsider that thought. These contain medicinal properties that can have to bring down the risks of various diseases and ailments. For instance, curcumin, which is found in turmeric, is known to have anti-cancerous properties.
To know more about breast cancer or to see various treatment options that are available for the same you can consult the best surgeon in Gurgaon.
Dr. Sunny Garg, Head of Department and Senior Consultant
Book an Appointment